The purpose of this set is to cover those P-51 canopies not already found on previous Clear-Vax sets. These include:
- P-51D and P-51 "Dallas" canopy, for the Monogram kit (Clear-Vax 3)
- P-51 and Mustang I, for the Accurate Miniatures kit (Clea-rVax 32)
- P-51B, for the Monogram kit (Clear-Vax 32)
- P-51B and P-51B "Malcolm" hood, for the Tamiya kit (Clear-Vax 36)
- P-51D and P-51D "Dallas" canopy, for the Tamiya kit (Clear-Vax 36)
- 1. NA-73X prototype. Suggested kit: Accurate Miniatures P-51 or P-51A.
In order to fit the Clear-Vax canopy, cut the kit fuselage away at the lines marked X, Y and Z (the interior bulkhead indicates the position of line X). There are numerous alterations to the kit parts required (caburettor intake, exhausts, lower cooling air scoop, propeller blades, etc). Consult your references carefully before making these changes.
- 2. P-51A/A-36A. Suggested kits: Accurate Miniatures P-51A and A-36A.
In order to fit the Clear-Vax canopy, cut the kit fuselage away at the lines marked X, Y and Z (the interior bulkhead indicates the position of line X).
- 3. P-51B/C "Malcolm" hood. Suggested kits: Accurate Miniatures P-51B/C; Tamiya P-51B and Mustang III.
The Clear-Vax canopy parts are sectioned for display in the open position. Windscreen A is for the Accurate Miniatures kit, windscreen T is for the Tamiya kit. Also supplied are rear windows for the Tamiya kit. Use the kit rear windows for the Accurate Miniatures P-51B.
- 4. P-51D-5. Suggested kit: Tamiya P-51D.
This canopy represents the lower-profile canopy as fitted to numbers of P-51D aircraft, such as E2-S 44-13926 of 361 Fighter Group. It is sectioned for display in the open position. Note on the drawing how the rear section sits on the fuselage. Using the kit part as a guide, fabricate the curved support piece from plastic card and install in the rear of the Clear-Vax canopy.
- 5. P-51D "Dallas" canopy. Suggested kit: Tamiya P-51D.
This canopy represents the flatter, bulged canopy common on late-model P-51Ds. It is sectioned for display in the open position. Also shown on the drawing is the aerial wire passing through the rear section. This was not fitted to all P-51D aircraft. Check your references when deciding which aircraft to model.
- 6. TP-51D. Suggested kit: Tamiya P-51D.
Using the kit panel lines (marked X) as a reference point, mark a parallel line 28.5 mm from line X (shown dotted as line Y). Then cut away the shaded area and replace it with Clear-Vax part 6A. The rear instrument panel, floor, stick and seat will need to be sourced from another kit or from one of the many after-market interior sets available. The Clear-Vax main canopy replaces the kit item.
- 7. P-51H. Suggested kit: Classic Airframes P-51H.
The Clear-Vax canopy has had its section and length altered for better accuracy, and is sectioned for display in the open position. In order to fit the windscreen, cut a 1 mm piece off the kit fuselage from the line marked X.
- 8. F-82 Twin Mustang. Suggested kit: Modelcraft F-82 family.
The Clear-Vax canopies directly replace the kit parts.
The following titles are recommended:
- P-51 Mustang in Detail & Scale part 1 (vol 50), part 2 (vol 51) (Squadron/Signal)
- Aerodetail No 13 P-51D (Dai Nippon)
- P-51 Mustang In Action, No.45 (Squadron/Signal)
- P-51 Mustang Walkaround (Squadron/Signal)
- Allison Engine Mustangs Walkaround (Squadron/Signal).